cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

SPOILER ALERT!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - Review

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green, David Levithan

Summary:

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, Will Grayson crosses paths with . . . Will Grayson. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, and culminating in epic turns-of-heart and the most fabulous musical ever to grace the high school stage. Told in alternating voices from two YA superstars, this collaborative novel features a double helping of the heart and humor that have won them both legions of fans.

5/5 stars

This was a really great read, it was incredibly heartfelt and despite some crazy situations it was still very down to earth. One things this book had going for it was the way it was written in alternating voices. The authors, Green and Levithan, each took turns writing from the point of view of their respective Will Graysons. And they wrote the characters in completely different ways, the way the chapters are written corresponds with and illuminates the differences between the two Will's.

The characters themselves were amazingly easy to understand. Even though I could actually relate to any of the situations they were in I still felt like the feelings were conveyed really well. The depression one of the Will's suffers was explained very realistically in the book and was handled in a way I haven't seen in many books before. He isn't discovering his depression, he's just at the point where he's living with it and it isn't romanticized. The other Will is going through problems with his love life (with Jane) and his friendship (with Tiny). I connected really well with the problems he was facing with Tiny and I felt it was solved in a wonderfully touching way.

Overall I read this book in only a few hours, so it was a pretty quick read for me. I just didn't want to put it down. It was incredibly funny to the point where i actually was laughing out loud and by the end I had cried at least once. I would recommend this to most readers as a great book about love and friendship.