cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

SPOILER ALERT!

Speak-Review

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson

Triggers in book for sexual assault

Summary:

In Laurie Halse Anderson's powerful novel, an utterly believable heroine with a bitterly ironic voice delivers a blow to the hypocritical world of high school. She speaks for many a disenfranchised teenager while demonstrating the importance of speaking up for oneself.

5/5 stars

This book is amazing. I think everything about it is amazing, it's definitely one of my favorites.

The story follows Melinda who is entering her first year of High School. The book follows her through the entire first year as she narrates what happens to her. I felt that the way the book was written was really great in how it allowed us into her mind so easily. Although Melinda doesn't speak very often she still manages to tell us a lot in her silences. Slowly through the book we learn about what happened to her that caused her to become friendless and so quiet.

(spoiler)

The author tells the story of a girl who has survived being raped very well. It is a very delicate topic to write about and she managed to tell the story in a believable way.There are some parts of the book that could be hard to read as Melinda has flashbacks to the event. The descriptions given are vague but powerful. The antagonist, Andy, and the encounters that she has with him are incredibly well written. To the point where I could almost feel Melinda's anxiety myself. You spend pretty much the entire book rooting for this girl. And when she starts to feel more empowered it makes you feel amazing and like you want to give her a hug.