cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

Cinder - Review

Cinder  - Marissa Meyer

Summary:

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

5/5 Stars

I loved this book so much. I read it in one sitting, took me four hours. I am most definitely going to be buying the second book in the series soon. I adored how they remade the story of Cinderella to fit into a plotline that was revolving on disease and war. While the book did have some elements that seemed to come directly from the fairy tale, it wasn't an exact retelling.

I loved the way she wrote the characters, especially Cinder. She was written as a strong protagonist who ends up needing to help the prince instead of the other way around. Plus any version of Cinderella where she is a cyborg mechanic seems pretty kick ass to me.

I enjoyed the world the author created, in a way reminiscent of Firefly in that it combined the Eastern and Western cultures. And the addition of androids and people living on the moon fit very well in the new world and made for a great story.

Overall I thought it was an great book and very well written. I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone.