cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

SPOILER ALERT!

Looking for Alaska-Review

Looking for Alaska - John Green

Summary:

Before. Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .

After. Nothing is ever the same.

3/5 stars

Out of the books John Green has written I have only read this and The Fault In Our Stars. Out of the two this one was not my favorite. The main reason I probably didn't adore this book was because I didn't really connect to any of the characters. The main male is a teenage boy who I thought was a bit annoying. He had his moments but overall I wasn't a huge fan. I found him a bit too whiny too times to truly be able to like the character. The main female was much of the same. She was all over the place and again I didn't connect to her in any way. And the main male put her on such a high pedestal that at times I wanted to throttle him.

(spoiler)

One thing he did nicely was how he wrote the characters dealing with death. Especially teenage characters. Miles didn't know Alaska for a long time but when she was gone he acted as if his life ended and they had something special and he was the only one allowed to be upset. That was a very immature way of looking at things but stays true to how some teenagers would have handled it. I liked that they even addressed that viewpoint in the book and said how childish and wrong it was.

But overall I thought the book was a little on the boring side. They do a lot but not much happened. It was a nice enough read once but it's not a book I'm going to keep coming back to over and over again.