cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

Poison Study-Review

Poison Study  - Maria V. Snyder

Summary:

Locked in a coffin-like darkness, there is nothing to distract me from my memories of killing Reyad. He deserved to die—but according to the law, so do I. Here in Ixia, the punishment for murder is death. And now I wait for the hangman's noose.

But the same law that condemns me may also save me. Ixia's food taster—chosen to ensure that the Commander's food is not poisoned—has died. And by law, the next prisoner who is scheduled to be executed—me—must be offered the position.

3.5/5 stars

This book wasn't what I expected. When I originally found out about it I was under the impression that it was a romance novel. After reading it I would not place it in that category. While there is a "love interest" nothing really happens until the last couple chapters. So initially I was disappointed that I hadn't got what I was looking for but after getting over that I realized that it was actually a pretty good book. Especially since I tend to enjoy books that have magical elements in it.

The main character, Yelena, isn't very whiny or generally annoying and the plot was actually quite interesting. Like most books it took me a few chapters to really get captivated but it was good enough that I stayed up all night until I finished it.

This is the first book in a series.