cassielynn

Not To Be Trusted In a Bookstore With a Credit Card

I'm eventually actually gonna try my hand at reviewing books. I am not promising greatly written reviews as I am incredibly "to the point" in my writing. But at the very least you will find out if I like the book or not.

Unwind-Review

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

I'm going to cut straight to the point and tell you all that this is my current favorite book. Now I like a lot of books but this one tops them all.

5/5 stars

Summary:

The Bill of Life states that human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, a parent may choose to retroactively get rid of a child through a process called "unwinding." Unwinding ensures that the child's life doesn’t “technically” end by transplanting all the organs in the child's body to various recipients. Now a common and accepted practice in society, troublesome or unwanted teens are able to easily be unwound.

It's a dystopian novel set in America several years after a civil war changed the laws on reproductive rights. It mainly follows the lives of the three main characters Connor, Risa, and Lev.

The characters are well written and it's easy to connect with them throughout the book. I really enjoyed how the point of view switches between characters for each chapter. The author even gives us some chapters from the point of view of side characters so we get to see their side of the story as well. He does it in a way that makes sense though and it doesn't come off as unorganized or confusing.

I think this book brings up a good argument about what it really means to be alive and how society can change its views on what's morally correct. And I have fun thinking about that every time I re-read it.

Now that's all I'm gonna say because I don't want to give away too much about what happens.

This book is the first in a series.